Friday, August 25, 2006

Storms

My heart has been engulfed by my little brother the past couple days. I am so proud of him for taking a step towards recovery. It has reminded me of the storm on the lake that the disciples encountered while Jesus was not with them. I'm sure that it must have been scary for all of them being out of the lake and the boat rocking and the water crashing in the boat. Can you even imagine? But then they look out across the lake and see the image of Christ walking on the water towards them. I'm sure that that in itself was a frightening sight.

Then they heard that familiar voice, the voice of Christ saying, "It is I; do not be afraid." Then as they took Him in their boat they were immediately back at the shore. Jesus helped them through the storm.

Every spiritual storm has a purpose. It may be to teach us patience or the purity to rely on Him. God always works the storms out for good. And with each storm we face, we grow and are that much stronger. Jesus is always holding His hand out and telling us, "It is I; do not be afraid." So we can relax during the storms and wait patiently to see what God has in store for us.

I know that this is going to be tough on all of us who love my brother. We are going to miss him so much. But he is finally letting God work in his heart. He is taking Jesus' hand and following Him to his recovery. I can't wait until he gets back and HE is back! I love you baby brother. Know that my prayers are always with you...

I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry...He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:1,3

No comments: