Thursday, July 20, 2006

A Joy-ous Rerun!

This post is a rerun previously posted March 29, 2006. I felt the need to remind myself of this today, so here goes! Oh, and another reason, in honor of Joy at Joy in the Journey, who honored me with her Blog of the Week award....she thinks I did a nice job! *blush* Thanks Joy, I think you are a breathe of fresh air myself.
<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
When my kids were little, little I remember thinking as we would approach one of those big milestones, if we can just get through this everything will be perfect. You know what I mean, right? Oh, if I could just get her weaned life would be so much easier. And then its...if he could just get those teeth through, we could all sleep through the night. And then its...when he gets totally potty trained... or when he starts school...or when we get through elementary school...or if we can just get through middle school and those awkward years. Then it is...if he can just get through high school, it's gonna be a breeze from there...if they would start loving the Lord more, they would make better choices.

Or if only I had more money in my checking account, if things weren't so tight, when my husband gets home things are gonna be better....I could go on and on.

I wonder why we do that? Do we really think that if we can just get over that particular milestone that everything will be "hunkydory" on the other side? Why can't we just be happy in the moment? IN.THE.MOMENT!"
This is the day that the Lord has made: let us rejoice and be glad in it."

We can't make our years go by any more slowly or control the circumstances, but we can choose our attitude toward those times and find the joy to be had right where we are...if we look for it!

We need and should do fun things with our kids, they grow up so fast. Go to the park or on a bike ride or play baseball with them or load up and go to your nearest drive-in movie theatre (this is one of our favorite things to do), whatever you choose do it together as a family. (What excuse are you gonna use when they are older and YOU want to go to the park and swing on the swing or go to the zoo to see the animlas or to see the circus show? Do it now while they can and will enjoy it too!) Rejoice in those sticky kisses and first words and moving up in school. Don't look back years from now wishing you had! Give them that memory (joy) too!
I will say that from my experience I get more joy out of doing and giving joy to other people, mainly my children. When we are concerned about others and how we can bless them, then we are gonna receive that unquenchable joy. I know that I do!

Make time to go to the park or read a book with the kids or just snuggle with them. The Lord will make sure that we are blessed in a special way too!

No comments: