Wednesday, March 29, 2006

JOY

When my kids were little, little I remember thinking as we would approach one of those big milestones, if we can just get through this everything will be perfect. You know what I mean, right? Oh, if I could just get her weaned life would be so much easier. And then its...if he could just get those teeth through, we could all sleep through the night. And then its...when he gets totally potty trained... or when he starts school...or when we get through elementary school...or if we can just get through middle school and the awkward years. Then it is...if he can just get through high school, it's gonna be a breeze from there...if they would start loving the Lord more, they would make better choices.
Or if only I had more money in my checking account, if things weren't so tight, when my husband gets home things are gonna be great....I could go on and on.
I wonder why we do that? Do we really think that if we can just get over that particular milestone that everything will be "hunkydory" on the other side? Why can't we just be happy in the moment?
"This is the day that the Lord has made: let us rejoice and be glad in it."
We can't make our years go by any more slowly or control the circumslances, but we can choose our attitude toward those times and find the joy to be had right where we are...if we look for it! We can do fun things with our kids, they grow up so fast. Go to the park or ride bikes or play baseball with them, whatever. (What excuse are you gonna use when they are older when YOU want to go to the park and swing on the swing or go to the zoo or the circus? Do it now while they enjoy it too!) Rejoice in those sticky kisses and first words and moving up in school. Don't look back years from now wishing you had! Give them that memory (joy) too!
I will say that from my experience I get more joy out of doing and giving joy to other people. When we are concerned about others and how we can bless them, then we are gonna receive that unquenchable joy. I know that I do!
Make time to go to the park or read a book with the kids or just snuggle with them. The Lord will make sure that we are blessed in a special way too!

No comments: