Saturday, October 31, 2009

Crucible Journal (Part 9)

The following is a portion of a journal a recruit kept while at bootcamp on Parris Island as he embarked on the Crucible and became a United States Marine.

Where's My Warrior's Breakfast?

Dear Journal,

We went down to the Warrior's Breakfast. It was a steak and eggs all you can eat feast! My first time through the line, I got steak, eggs with ham & cheese, hashbrowns, biscuit, toast, waffle, orange juice, milk, cereal, a banana, and a cinnamon roll. After eating all that, I went back through the line and got more eggs, French Toast, a bagel, another biscuit, another banana, and a Mountain Dew! We ate so much that our stomach's hurt. The coolest part was we could talk to each other and eat. We could never talk during chow.

Later we stepped out for our barracks at 1000. We spent the rest of the day doing gear inventory, cleaning our weapons, cleaning the squadbay, and packing our seabags for home!! We didn't eat noon chow today…no room! But, the evening chow was awesome…and…we got to strut our stuff around some!! It is good not to have to say "This Recruit…" before every sentence. We can also now call the Drill Instructors "Sergeant" instead of "Sir."

This is a day I will never forget. I wish I could stay awake, but I am so tired…I just want to sleep.

I'll finish up tomorrow…."

No comments: